For the weeks beginning 29th January and 5th February
Over the next two weeks, we are learning about water; how we use it and why we need it. Our story focus for the first week is Noah’s Ark. In the second week, our focus is Pirates.
Please support your child’s learning at home by:
- Using different materials to discuss floating and sinking. Encourage your child to make predictions and find out if they are right.
- Sharing fiction and non-fiction books about water and the creatures that live in the sea and ponds.
- Discussing the story of Noah’s Ark.
- Talking about water safety, at home and when out and about.
- Discussing displacement – What happens when you get in/ out of the bath or put stones in a container full of water.
- Measuring, using water, and talking about capacity.
Use different shapes and sizes of containers and the vocabulary related to measuring a liquid – full, empty, half full, overflowing.
- Practising counting on and back to 20. Revise addition and subtraction up to 10 and then up to 20.
- Continuing to practise phonics and tricky words (reading and writing).