By the end of the Year 1 most children should
• recognise that their lives are different from those living in the past
• show their developing sense of chronology by using terms concerned with the passing of time and by placing events and objects in chronological order
• show knowledge and understanding of some aspects of the past within living memory
• observe or handle information and artefacts to answer questions about the past on the basis of simple observations
• be able to classify some objects as old and new or as past and present and explain why.