History Content Year 1
The content of the curriculum will enable the following outcomes.
By the end of Year 1 most children should
- Recognise that their lives are different from those living in the past.
- Show knowledge and understanding of some aspects of the past within living memory and aspects of change.
- Begin looking at significant historical events, people and places in their own locality.
- Show their developing sense of chronology by using terms concerned with the passing of time and by placing events and objects in chronological order.
- Observe or handle information and artefacts to answer questions about the past on the basis of simple observations.
- Be able to classify some objects as old and new or as past and present and explain why.